Code of Conduct
Our platforms and events are a safe place, free of harassment and judgement for all members regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or ability.
Our values are simple:
Our values are simple:
Failure to demonstrate these values in a way that affects another's comfort will result in suspension from our events and removal from our platforms.
Additionally, we expect all members to constantly work on improving their behaviours and fighting their biases. The list of behaviours below is the gold standard and everyone is expected to work towards this ideal through self reflection and open communication.
Specific behaviours that demonstrate these values:
- Read provided information about the group, events and games
- Welcome new members and assist with navigation of our group and events
- Help answer questions posted on events and online platforms
- Use gender neutral pronouns and terms when referring to specific individuals or groups
- Express opinions, specifically of games and types of games, subjectively with "I believe, I like"
- Apologize for errors, acknowledge weaknesses, and correct problematic behaviours
- Arrive on time, posting if your arrival is delayed or your plans have changed
- Greet other attendees and welcome new members
- Bring and teach games once you are comfortable with the group
- Facilitate game selection by suggesting games and being open to trying new games
- Ensure games are an appropriate complexity for your experience before joining
- Use a conversational volume and avoid raising your voice to speak over others
- Keep spaces clean by picking up any garbage and cleaning up any spills
- Make purchases at the hosting venue when possible and do not conduct private sales at venues
- Offer to help the host set up before and pack up after a game
- Allow the game host to teach, and answer questions, without interruption
- Be patient with other players, providing strategic suggestions only when requested
- Be ready for your turn by thinking about your actions in advance
- Explain your actions as you are taking them, allowing others to follow your turn and catch mistakes
- Stay focused on the game and avoid distractions, with cell phones silenced
- Treat other people's games carefully, avoiding anything that could damage or misplace components
- Focus on enjoyment over competition
- Be a good sport regardless of your results in a particular game
- Forgive rules mistakes and omissions
Submit this form to confirm that you agree to the intent and behaviours of this code.
If you witness, or are involved in, any questionable or inappropriate behaviour, please consider the following actions depending on your comfort level and the seriousness of the behaviour:
Since our games are usually played in small groups, we rely on members noticing, commenting on and advising us of any behaviour that makes them uncomfortable. Addressing behaviours, regardless of how minor, helps identify recurring behaviours and keeps our events enjoyable for as many people as possible.
Include as many details as possible, such as dates and names of anyone else who witnessed the behaviour you are reporting.